The Driving Test is Changing
You may already be aware that the driving test is set to change as of December 4th 2017 but what does this mean for those thinking of learning or booked in after this date?
Changes to the driving test are implemented to ensure that new learner drivers will acquire all of the necessary skills and knowledge needed to help them on their independent driving journey following the test. These changes will impact all learner drivers, regardless of if you are taking an intensive course or not.
There is no cause for alarm though. This month GoGoGo wanted to highlight the changes happening to reassure our learners and those considering a 5-day driving course there is no need to worry or feel overwhelmed. The changes are aimed at helping you become a more proficient, skilled and confident driver.
So what are the changes?
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) have made 4 main changes to the driving test:
• Increased Independent Driving Time – The independent driving time has increased from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. We believe this change will be highly beneficial for learners as they will be gaining more first-hand experience of what it’s like to be driving independently. This change should not impact the learning experience.
• Satnav – As we are now living in the digital age, more and more people are becoming familiar with the use of technology, especially the younger generation. Many wouldn’t even recall a time before sat nav. As such, this means the DVSA have seen it suitable to introduce a guided element to the test using a satnav for some participants.
During the test, you will need to know how to set up a Satnav and follow its direction. It’s important to bear in mind, not all tests will use a Satnav, and some will be required to follow road signs – although it’s a skill all learners should be confident with ready for when they pass.
• No More Reversing Around The Corner – Reversing around a corner and turn-in-the-road manoeuvres were some of the more technically challenging parts of the driving test. As of 4th December 2017 learners will no longer have to contend with these.
Manoeuvres that will feature as stated on the. Gov.UK site include parallel parking at the side of the road, park in a bay – either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do), or pulling up on the right-hand side of the road, reversing for 2 car lengths and then re-joining the traffic.
• Show me tell me – Not a change to your driving but your ability to know the vehicle. This change will consist of a series of vehicle safety questions that you will need to answer & show your examiner. “Tell me how to use the windscreen wipers and show me which car controls you’d use to activate them” might be an example.
That’s the changes in short. Those who are currently learning will have likely received an email from gov.uk and the DVSA outlining this much like above. All of the GoGoGo Instructors are also fully equipped to ensure you pass your test with full awareness of the above so the important thing for you is to remained focused on your driving!
- Learn to drive in just 5 Days Free corrective #drivinglessons if you do not pass first time
- Learn to drive with our 5Day Driving Courses #drivinglessons
PassesDon't just take our word for it !!!
See how other Go Go Go intensive learners have done so far and what they have to say about their course.View All Our Passes +